Saturday 25 August 2012

quilt retreats at gimli

s we started tp plan for our Quilt Retreat for 2008, someone realized that this was our 15th year of quilting together. Normally we quilt at the community centre, the women are all great cooks so we plan out the meals and everyone brings something. The food is as much fun as the sewing. But the preparing and clean up takes time so we decided we would celebrate by letting someone else do the cooking. We went to resort in Gimli, Manitoba, right on the beach. They gave us a large conference room with nice window to use for sewing, brought us coffee and snacks and at breakfast, lunch and supper we just walked down the hall and enjoyed the food. We thought we would do this just once but we've been there 4 times so far, this fall will be the 5th.

At the retreat in 2008 I spent the weekend cutting and sewing the coloured blocks for this quilt, which I call Beach Glass.

In 2009 I bought all the fabric for this quilt in Vancouver and made this wall hanging. It's called Noriko, the middle name of a friend. I especially love the border fabric.

I had enough fabric left to make a second one, something I've never done. This time I only used 3 fabrics in each square.

In 2010 I decided I'd better sew all my squares together for my Beach Glass Quilt, so I bought white fabric with green dots and sewed it all together.

It's a really simple pattern but it turned out to be one of my favourite quilts. I had someone do the machine quilting and if you look closely you can see the flower pattern.

In 2011 I cut the fabrics out before retreat so I could get more done and I acually managed to sew the tops of a wallhanging and a lap quilt.

I call the wall hanging Amish lava lamps, since th Amish quilt mostly with solid colours.

This is the lap quilt, it is not named yet. I used fabrics from a collection called moonlight garden so that might become the name.

      I decided to free motion quilt this myself, as you can see it's far from perfect but not too bad.

These are some of my quilting friends at retreat.
                          

No comments:

Post a Comment