Sunday 6 May 2012

The beginning


I had enjoyed sewing over the years, all except that hideous gingham apron that we made in Grade 7. I had even progressed to sewing Vogue patterns for myself. My mom bought me a sewing machine when I got married but after the kids were born it hadn't been used.

My fascination for quilting began in 1992, when my son Carson was a baby. A popular feeding time was 3am. In those days there were not alot of shows to choose from, mostly black and white old movies and Twilight Zone. But I soon discovered a great quilting show! I actually got to the point where I didn't mind those 3am times as much. Little did I know it then but I was getting hooked!

When Carson was about a year old I saw an ad in our local community newsletter for a Quilt Weekend at my neighbourhood Community Club. I signed up and that was the start of my obsession. The quilt pattern was called Trip Around the World and I needed to choose six co-ordinating fabrics. Honestly, that was the hardest part. I remember being in Fabricland for about 2 hours! There were about 25 women at the club on the Friday evening, I don't think I knew any of them then. We learned how to rotary cut all of our strips of fabric. It was tons of fun. (and Barry was looking after Taylor and Carson for two days!) Thanks Shelly for organizing this (she had a newborn at the time!

Attempting a queen size quilt for my first one was not the smartest idea. But, I did finish it and have enjoyed having it on our bed. The day I took this photo our cat Simon was enjoying it, too.


1 comment:

  1. Your welcome Gladys. Welcome to the world of blogging. I miss our times together.

    ReplyDelete