Tuesday 8 May 2012

the next two quilts

The following year I eagerly signed up for the quilt weekend at the club! This time we were making a Log Cabin Quilt. I wisely chose to make only a twin size this time. I remember that Barry and I and Taylor and Carson all drove down to Winkler, Mb to the great quilt store they had there to buy the fabric. The choosing wasn't any easier this time. After machine piecing the top I hand quilted it together and it was on Carson's bed until he finally outgrew it a couple of years ago, he's 6'3" now.

The Log Cabin square is one of the oldest quilt designs. It has been found it quilts from the British Isles in the 1700's. The centre square is traditionally red, to represent the hearth (fireplace) or the heart of the home. The fabrics on one side are lighter representing the sunny side of the cabin and the darker fabrics the shady side.

The same year I felt brave enough to tackle a quilt on my own and made this heart quilt for Taylor. I found the pattern in Grand Forks while we were on a little family holiday. I used scraps from my first quilt and from Carson's quilt and added a few more from quilting friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment