Saturday 26 May 2012

mystery and pinwheel quilts

In the fall of 1996, a group of us went to the St. Francis Xavier Quilt show. It was really inspiring, and they had great desserts! We met their core group of quilters, each of them had made a mystery quilt and they were on display. We thought this would be alot of fun! They mailed us the fabric requirements and then several sealed envelopes, each one containing one of about eight steps. There were four of us who got together at each others homes during the winter to reveal the next step. By the time we started we had completely forgotten what the original looked like and our completed quilts were a surprise!


As you can tell if you've been reading my blog, I was now quilting once a year at the club, quilting with a smaller group of neighbourhood women once or twice a year, quilting on my own, going to quilt shows and quilt stores, and enjoying a couple of really good quilt shows on TV. My kids were now in school, Taylor was in grade one and Carson in kindergarten. We were still living in our little bungalow so it all worked, and I was having alot of fun!


This Pinwheel quilt was a nice, simple pattern to quilt make. By now I had learned to do some free motion quilting, so I decided to machine stipple this lap size quilt. It was was also the first quilt that I made prairie points for, too (you fold a square of fabric into a triangle to make these). 


As you can tell from the label I did the stippling during a freak April blizzard that dropped a couple of feet of snow on Winnipeg. I remember walking down our main road, Osborne, literally down the middle of the street, there were no cars because it took a couple of days for the roads to be cleared. The front streets were finally plowed, but all of us parked in the backlane. Being housebound was fun for a few days but finally with no snowplow in sight all the neighbours shovelled out the backlane.

No comments:

Post a Comment